Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92
(09-06-2016, 09:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You sure about all that?  I mean, I was a kid in the Reagan era.  My Dad's salary increased at the greatest rate in his working history during those years.  We somehow moved up from upper lower class to lower middle class in about a few short years. 

Also, what's wrong with a liberated woman choosing to stay home and raise the family?  I know many families where both work, seemingly just for the sake of saying both work.  They might actually save some money if one stayed home, intelligently managed the family, while the other focused on increasing their earnings.

Sincerely happy for your family's successes during your childhood.

That being said, several people have posted reams of data on the old board and readily available at your fingertips showing for the majority of Americans wages have been stagnant for the past 35 years and in some cases even declined. At the same time, a small percentage of Americans - a fraction of one percent, have experienced staggering economic gains. That isn't a matter of ideology. It is a matter of fact - specifically mathematical fact.

Regarding Schlaffly if she were alive and you called her liberated to her face she would have verbally assaulted you. She was neither a feminist, nor liberated, and asked her husband's permission before running for office 3x and losing all three times.

The sad truth is in most households where one parent stays home it is because they can't make enough from the second earners wages to pay for childcare. So, it does technically save money but hardly increases the family's standard of living. The second the kids are in school the second wage earner returns to a job or jobs and the family still struggles. And it isn't because they live beyond their means - it is because wages in this country have flat lined for decades. Again, not a matter of ideology, it is a matter of math. You may believe if we further cut capital gains taxes and the tax rates for the wealthiest earners even further that the middle class will suddenly explode, or you may believe it is doing just fine. But, those ideas haven't worked for 35 years and the middle class is not doing just fine. Feel free to tell me I am wrong, and I will happily agree when you show math that proves it.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Messages In This Thread
Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92 - GMDino - 09-06-2016, 07:09 AM
RE: Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92 - PhilHos - 09-06-2016, 01:18 PM
RE: Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92 - xxlt - 09-06-2016, 02:59 PM
RE: Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92 - bfine32 - 09-06-2016, 04:02 PM
RE: Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92 - xxlt - 09-06-2016, 11:43 PM
RE: Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92 - xxlt - 09-06-2016, 11:54 PM
RE: Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92 - GMDino - 09-07-2016, 10:15 AM
RE: Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92 - GMDino - 09-06-2016, 10:10 PM