Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The true role of a president in the U.S. government
This has actually been on my mind lately, but more in a sense of how I would rather see us move to a parliamentary system. The separation of powers was designed in such a way so that each branch derived its power from a different source. Right now, the executive and legislative each derive their authority from the people. This, to me, muddies the waters a bit with regards to the role of the POTUS. If the authority is going to derived from the same source and we are going to continue to see a crossing over of powers because of it (because to me it is the reliance on the vote of the people that causes the over-reaching) then why not make the move to parliamentary where the PM is head of the executive and the POTUS is purely head of state?

I know that didn't answer the OP's question. I just have been thinking a lot about this and thought it would fit. In truth, I find it hard to accurately describe what I think a POTUS should do in our current system. Yes, diplomat in chief, commander in chief, head of the executive. But what sort of tools are in that toolbox? Where are the lines in what can be done in their execution of the laws? If the executive and legislative are to remain divorced, I am of the opinion that the POTUS should not have a legislative agenda, but who was the last candidate for the position that didn't have one?

Anyway, enough of my ramblings for now.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: The true role of a president in the U.S. government - Belsnickel - 09-09-2016, 09:26 PM