Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Andy Dalton and the QBR Floor Theory
(07-07-2015, 10:54 AM)BengalChris Wrote: OMG, these numbers don't mean anything for the future. It only tells us what he did in the past. We all know he can have some really good games and that he is more than capable of some real stinkers as well.

No one knows if Dalton will get his head out of his ass for a whole year or not. Is it possible? Yes. Will he? No idea and neither does anyone else.

He's really on a perform or be let go status anyways. No one is going to pay a guy $20M a year who can't bring home a playoff win, at least not for long.

The Bengals will continue to set the current NFL record for play futility until they can win in the playoffs. Thanks to Mike Brown.

If Dalton loses in the playoffs again this year then he'll be alone at the bottom with the worst NFL playoff record ever.

But, the team is trying to overcome its failings. This could be the year, you just don't know.

I remember back at the start of the 81 season, the writers saw that the Bengals had a talented team, but because Pittsburgh had been so strong and the rest of division was also good, writers proclaimed the Bengals not good enough to make the playoffs. Yet they went to the SB.

I like our secondary. I like our DL. I have concerns about our LBs. I like our RBs. I like our OL. I like our receivers, if they stay healthy. I'm so-so about our QB, so I keep hoping McCarron is good enough to make Dalton hear his footsteps. I'm so-so about Marvin Lewis. I don't like Mike Brown (there's the good, the bad and the ugly with too much ugly and bad has gone on with this owner).

Again, the fans come in with the "You don't have a crystal ball" argument.

The past tends to be the best predictor of the future.

I guess, as fans, some hold out a religious like hope that people get a lot better after a history of not achieving such. You're right, though, we don't know. So, why talk about anything that hasn't happened yet? Why mark down appointments on a calendar? Or have a credit rating? Why base anything off of history or reliability at all?

The above line of thinking doesn't logically hold water. It's possible, just not probable based on a sizable sample of history, that the current play of the QB position on the Bengals won't get it done - unless changes are made either by the player or to the roster. Change the people or change the people as a wise old boss once told me.

Also, I get what you're saying about D-line, etc., but in the modern NFL era the QB position is King above all position groups. Period.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Andy Dalton and the QBR Floor Theory - PDub80 - 07-07-2015, 11:03 AM