Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act passed by Congress
(09-10-2016, 12:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: From what I read his reasoning is it will open up other countries charging us with crimes and to be fair I can see it as a concern.

In late 1990s we were tasked with resettling Bosniaks to the city of Zvornik. They had be removed entirely during the Zvornik massacre. Unfortunately, serbs moved into the houses when Bosniaks were forced to leave (or be killed). While relocating one of the first families (I was in a 2 vehicle patrol with a total of 10 people) a huge, hostile crowd gathered, one civilian vehicle "accidentally" stuck my wing man's vehicle. The local police were called and they were not on our side,

Through my terp, I was told the crowd was suggesting over-running us, I asked the Police Chief if he could help, he said the crowd was doing nothing wrong and that my partner's vehicle was too far out in the street and we were responsible for the accident; even though we were stationary.

By then the quick reaction force was arriving. I sure was glad I was not bound by local law. 

(09-10-2016, 01:10 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I'm with Obama on this one since I see this as opening up the United States for lawsuits from others.

It seems like a fine gesture, as there is sufficient evidence to suggest that our country should be holding some folks in the Saudi government responsible. But as bfine and Neb have pointed out, it would be a major liability when it comes to international affairs. There is a bit of an understood reciprocity with regards to this that could, and likely would, be revoked were this to happen. It could be disastrous for us with our global military presence.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act passed by Congress - Belsnickel - 09-10-2016, 02:45 PM