Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Andy Dalton and the QBR Floor Theory
(07-07-2015, 11:53 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Here is a list of the ratings for all of Daltons games.  Under 70 has been highlighted.

Bengals are 9-12 in those games.  I only count 10 such games in the last two seasons:

What stands out to me is that 12 out of 21 (57%) of these bad games came in the AFCN. As far as consistency, Andy is pretty much on par with other QB's of his caliber. The best comparison would be Joe Flacco, who is also average and deals with the same division:

Games with <70 passer rating:

Joe Flacco- 33 of 112 (29.5%)
Andy Dalton- 21 of 64 (32.8%)

The only real difference is that Dalton has struggled with both the Browns and Ravens lately, whereas Flacco has only consistently struggled with the Bengals and some non-division teams. I was thinking that Dalton would have more "awful" games (sub 60 passer rating), but I was surprised to find out that Flacco is actually worse in this category:

Games with <60 passer rating:

Joe Flacco- 18 of 112 (16.1%)
Andy Dalton- 9 of 64 (14.1%)

In summary, Dalton's consistency (or lack thereof) isn't that big a deal for me. In some ways I think it's overblown. If Dalton would've won a playoff game by now, I think less people would be hyper-analyzing every facet of his game. For me, the question is whether or not any QB can win with the coaches and FO we have in place. 

It feels like Dalton is experiencing the same themes that Palmer did. They started off showing a lot of promise and winning a lot of games, but it never progressed to the next level and both struggled in big games. So I think it's fair to question whether or not we may have a bigger problem here than just the QB.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Andy Dalton and the QBR Floor Theory - Shake n Blake - 07-07-2015, 01:10 PM