Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some reasons to feel good heading into the Steelers game
(09-14-2016, 06:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Obviously we've been pretty abysmal vs the Steelers for over a decade now, but there are a few reasons for optimism.

1. The Steelers offense isn't nearly as explosive vs our defense. They averaged 20.3 points and 360 yards against the Bengals, 27.1 and 401 vs everyone else. This is including a game where our defense played like they knew they just lost their franchise QB.

2. Miller and Bryant combined for 38 catches in 3 games last year. Obviously they won't be around for this one. Miller in particular is going to be a huge loss. He had 10 catches in each of the regular season games. Brown was covered and Ben kept dumping it to Heath.

3. Speaking of Ben, he's been pretty mediocre against the Bengals over the last 4 seasons (9 games). He has a 85.4 rating with more turnovers (12) than TDs (11). This continued last year, when he had only 2 TDs to 4 INTs.

4. The Bengals are 3-4 in the last 7 full games Dalton has played.

5. From 2013-15 (5 starts), Dalton has a 85.1 rating against the Steelers. Completing 62.3% with 8 TDs and only 5 INTs. Considering that the Steelers have shut down our passing game dating back to the Palmer days, the numbers are encouraging. Dalton has actually had a better passer rating then Ben in 3 of their last 4 matchups, with the Bengals going 2-1 when that happens.

6. AJ Green dominated them last year for 321 yards. Plus he had a TD in each game.

7. DeAngelo Williams was mostly held in check in his only start against us last year. 76 yards on 23 carries. He did punch it in twice, but managed only 3.3 ypc and 2 catches for 15 yards.

and finally...

8. The Steelers are 8-7 without Bell (including playoffs) since he was drafted. One of those losses happened to be a week 2 game @Bengals. One of the very rare wins for the Bengals in Cincinnati.

With no Bell, Heath or Bryant, I think we have a good shot to win in Pittsburgh. We've been much more competitive against those guys recently (when our QB is healthy and our receivers aren't decimated). So do you guys have any reasons why you're feeling good going into this game? Or is there a particular stat you find interesting?

Great stuff +REP

My personal feeling is that in the recent past against putzburgh, the Bengals have focused on limiting the big pass plays down the field.  They might get hit in the run game without Burfict, but that field gets tighter in the red zone.  We witnessed this against the jets.  Pig Ben wants big plays.  He wants to take shots.  This is why Reggie Nelson was his nemesis (that, and peanut M&Ms).  I put a lot on the safeties.  They aren't going to be crowding the line as much, so they HAVE to make plays on the ball.  Don't bother with a big hit, it will simply be helmet contact and a free 15 yards, even if they leave a helmet stripe on the receivers cleat...it will be flagged for going for the head.  We know this.  Make plays on the ball in the air.

Pig Ben was also whining up a storm in his interview "of course the NFL gives us the Bengals on a short week"...I called 1530 and asked them to dub a baby crying in the background of that sound byte. I don't know if they ever did, but the stuff they used to edit in to Dick LeBeau's press conferences used to make me laugh so hard I spit coffee on my dashboard.  Back to the point:  it IS a short week, and you are most sore between week 1 and 2... I hope it is a factor.  I know Shazier will play, but he tweaked his knee against the skins. 

Lastly, I want Marvin to say:  "OK, Jeremy Hill, here is your chance to redeem yourself".  Give him more carries.  Let's see what the line can do against them.  It not only protects Dalton, but nothing fires up a team like pounding you opponent in to submission with the run game.  They said "pound the rock" all training camp (I know it was a metaphor)...so let's see them do that in this game.  I want Kroft, Fisher, AND Hewitt on the field.  With AJ split out wide.  You know he will have two guys on him (at least) and it STILL won't be enough.  Go heavy on the offensive line, and pound them, but keep them honest with some passes where our RB (You must do this will Hill, also, not just Gio), TE, and AJ get some targets.  But for me, to keep this game tight and minimize hits to our QB, pound the damn rock. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some reasons to feel good heading into the Steelers game - SHRacerX - 09-15-2016, 08:45 AM