Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
82 shot, 14 fatalities, over the 4th of July weekend
(07-07-2015, 03:09 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: The way you worded your OP makes it seem like you have a pretty anti-gun control agenda.  If not, apologies for assuming.

As for the differences between Miami and Chicago, the crime number differences mainly lie in the fact that Chicago's population is much higher, as it's already been pointed out.

I know that some people scoff at Wikipedia referencing, but here is their page for "List of Cities By Crime Rate".  Now, Chicago doesn't report violent crime rate or rape statistics, but you can infer from checking out the stats on Murder, Robbery, and Aggravated Assaults, that it does not stand out massively from other big American cities.  Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, Cleveland, Oakland, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Memphis, Miami, New Orleans, Washington, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, etc...all rank above Chicago in crime per capita.  You have about double the chance of being murdered in Baltimore, or St. Louis, and triple the chance in Detroit and New Orleans as you do in Chicago.  This violence is nothing out of the ordinary for major cities, particularly in the south or the Midwest.

Gun violence is an issue.  Is it the guns themselves that are the issue?  Is it a cultural thing?  Is it lack of knowledge & respect for firearms?  A mental health issue? A combination of all of the above?  I don't know.  I do know one thing though.....the United States has set itself apart from the rest of the civilized world when it comes to gun violence.  It's a massive issue, and it needs to stop being pushed under the rug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate_(2012)

All good... I reread and can see where you could have came to that conclusion. No worries.... You have always explained anything further when asked. I appreciate that

Messages In This Thread
RE: 82 shot, 14 fatalities, over the 4th of July weekend - StLucieBengal - 07-08-2015, 03:14 AM