Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Virginia cop fired for not killing a man with an unloaded gun
(09-16-2016, 10:41 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: All good points.  The only counter I would offer would be this; if you commit a terminatable offense during your probationary period you're pretty much 100% of the time going to be terminated.

Probably accurate, but it raises some questions.

General Question: If you just spent the money to send someone to the academy for 16 weeks, shouldn't you try to get some ROI and consider additional training such as another cycle with a FTO, additional firearms training, etc rather than just throwing the investment away, being understaffed, and losing what may have been a very good LEO over a full career?

Specific Question: If an officer is on probation, why is he the first unit responding to a call like this with no FTO, no back up, no nothing? Seems almost like he was being set up for failure. I am sure you know a lot more about this than I do, but I know enough to know some departments are well known for a high level of training and equipment, and others do not share the same reputation among LEOs I spoken with.

Side note: yesterday I saw about 2 dozen cadets observing each other as they received live instruction on how to direct traffic at an intersection in a neighboring community. I had seen this before, but it was many years ago. We all have to learn and back to the case at hand I think expecting a cop on probation to perform as well as a veteran is unrealistic. Maybe the guy in this story will hook on with another department. Maybe he wasn't cut out to be a cop, but seems to me like there was some potential there.  
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Messages In This Thread
RE: West Virginia cop fired for not killing a man with an unloaded gun - xxlt - 09-16-2016, 12:27 PM