Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ann Patchett and cutting the cord even more
(09-16-2016, 09:56 PM)Dill Wrote: I own a tv but exercise some discipline. I use it basically for three things--news, sports (steeler games and college wrestling) and HBO series.
You have a literary education, right? I think that some HBO offerings, like the Sopranos, Rome, Deadwood, and the Wire, are well worth the time spent watching them--like the best 19th century novels in terms of scope and depth.

TVs are bad, though, when they become a means of marking time between work hours. I understand why some people don't have tvs. We have friends who don't. But I think they miss a lot of global knowledge about what is happening in the world.  

I use NPR and my phone or computer for news. I hate TV News, although if I had BBC I would watch it for news. You are correct about my lit background and there is definitely some quality content out there. In addition to the HBO shows you mentioned there is PBS, and I am as likely to watch Charlie Rose or Nova or Frontline as anything, but can probably watch all those on the PBS site. I suspect HBO will soon have a subscription not requiring you to have a cable provider - they may have that already, and if/when  they do phone or laptop would likely suffice. Sports is the only other thing, and my interest in it is waning. Other than March Madness I go to a bar if I want to see a game.

Thanks very much for your perspective. Knowing why you think those without TV are missing out is helpful, and I respect your assessment. But, since I tend to look at online newspapers like the NYT or listen to NPR for news, it is actually making mean a little more toward ditching the TV. You probably have multiple news channels like BBC, Al Jazeera, and the US 24 hour channels to choose from, right? All I get is the big three networks (not good) and PBS (good, but NPR as good or better).

Thanks again for helping me process this decision. Brain is still mulling it over...
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ann Patchett and cutting the cord even more - xxlt - 09-17-2016, 12:03 AM