Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Andy Dalton and the QBR Floor Theory
(07-08-2015, 04:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah.  I would love to see the comparison of Dalton vs. other NFL QBs against those defenses.  He has gotten better against them, with the exception of Cleveland???

Remember, this is not a question of who he plays good against, how often, etc. It is how often he is likely to have a bad game, and how bad is his average bad game. This shows how often Dalton's play hurts the team and his inconsistency. Who the game against is irrelevant and in another post in this thread I already debunked the idea that the same teams have figured him out every year, causing his numbers to be skewed.

I will work on this. It could be challenging to find a lot of them because they have to play them in the same season to be even close to accurate. I will just go with common division opponents to make it simpler.

Since we are talking low level of play I took Andy's lowest passer rating from the two games against division opponents and referenced them against the good QBs that also played against the AFCN. In 2014 I would say the other two divisions only had 4 good QBs. The idea that AD played bad against the AFCN is false. He was fine with everyone but the Browns. Regardless, I am happy to humor the nay sayers.....

2014 (Player/ AD)

Drew Brees

PIT 140 (5-0) / AD 83.7
CLE 89.3 (2-1) / AD 2.0
BAL 118.5 (3-1) / AD 89.3

Andrew Luck

PIT 91 / AD 83.7
CLE 59.8 / AD 2.0
BAL 72.8 / AD 89.3

Matt Ryan

PIT 86.2 / AD 89.3
CLE 86.7 / AD 2.0
BAL 102.9 / AD 83.7

Cam Newton

PIT 98.5 / AD 83.7
CLE 74.8 / AD 2.0
BAL 94.9 / AD 89.3

Does anyone need or want to see 2013? If so, I'll do it but honestly, I just glanced through Tannehill's numbers against the AFCN in 2013 and they beat Dalton's against all 3 opponents. I don't think it will be much different for the other QBs from that season.

NOTE: I started cross referencing just common opponents and then playoffs, etc. and it gets a little complicated. It doesn't look any different, really.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Andy Dalton and the QBR Floor Theory - PDub80 - 07-08-2015, 04:25 PM