Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt
(09-23-2016, 12:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There is no excuse for the riots, but I can explain why they are enraged.

The protest is not just against individual racism.  The protest is against institutional racism.  And in this case it seems that the leaders of the "institution" (the mayor of Charlotte) is suppressing the evidence of what happened.

Think of it this way.  The video must look pretty bad for the Mayor to allow her city to go up in flames by not releasing it.

Police videos are good for both sides.  They protect officers from false claims of abuse, and they protect the citizens from improper action at the hands of law enforcement.  But they have to be seen to serve this purpose.

To the black community it must seem like the system is getting over on them by suppressing the video.  If you could take a moment to look at it from their point of view then you would understand what I mean.

The riots are caused because people created boogeymen to enrage POCs which they fell for.  Institutional racism and white privilege are just examples of these boogeymen that just are real.

The city of Charlotte (where I used to live and worked until I moved overseas) has a lot of blacks and black leadership, the guy was shot by a black cop for crying out loud.  Yet the people targeted by the mob?  White people.... a serious disconnect here. 

Not only that, but why release the video when even in clear cut videos like the one in Tulsa people see different things?  In the Tulsa video, I saw a black male refuse to follow any instruction and do what he pleased even at the risk of the officers present.  You saw a man with his hands in the air and one that posed no threat to  the officers. So releasing a video will only validate whichever side you are on, and not actually exonerate anyone. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - Sovereign Nation - 09-23-2016, 02:57 AM