Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pharaoh, Exodus, God, and the Meme that started an argument
(09-23-2016, 09:05 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Concepts of 'justice' and 'fairness' are pretty subjective to the point of being often abused throughout history. 'Reason' and 'logic' are, by their nature, far more objective (despite the fact that people still sometimes argue against them). I would think laws should be based upon reason and logic and that concepts of justice and fairness should develop from that basis, rather than all being on an equal footing from the get-go. 

I don't disagree because in the example I provided in Giordano Bruno he was a victim of "divine" justice although contemporary proponents will most likely disagree (even though the Catholic Church still won't concede burning someone at the stake for heresy was a mistake.)

I think of justice in contemporary, secular terms such as "liberty and justice for all" which is different than The Inquisition's idea of justice which is different than sharia law's idea of justice.  So personally, I would rather have laws based upon reason rather than the idea a divine creator has every right to kill every first born human and animal because he is divine and therefore his immoral acts are rendered moral via his divinity and we know it is true because a book says it is true.  And we know the book is true because the book says the book is true.

[Image: 4702d3b81210b5e56fe5ade4cd083082.jpg]

[Image: 054c393c95d875ce07d1fd089a369aad.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Pharaoh, Exodus, God, and the Meme that started an argument - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-23-2016, 10:35 AM