Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pharaoh, Exodus, God, and the Meme that started an argument
(09-23-2016, 10:35 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don't disagree because in the example I provided in Giordano Bruno he was a victim of "divine" justice although contemporary proponents will most likely disagree (even though the Catholic Church still won't concede burning someone at the stake for heresy was a mistake.)

I think of justice in contemporary, secular terms such as "liberty and justice for all" which is different than The Inquisition's idea of justice which is different than sharia law's idea of justice.  So personally, I would rather have laws based upon reason rather than the idea a divine creator has every right to kill every first born human and animal because he is divine and therefore his immoral acts are rendered moral via his divinity and we know it is true because a book says it is true.  And we know the book is true because the book says the book is true.

Yeah. Logically, if there is an omnipotent and omniscient God who makes His own laws for His own purposes, then that God can enforce those laws in a way that He sees fit. So, why would humans need to emulate those laws and also try to enforce them upon other humans? That doesn't make any sense. It is like saying, "You are God, all-knowing and all-powerful. And we worship you for that. But we don't really think you see what is going on down here or are taking care of it sufficiently." 

No, societies need to make their own laws based upon their needs and based upon reason and logic and not based upon a deity's laws (most of which, in the case of Christianity, would not be enforceable anyway since they deal with sins of thought). If they follow the course of reason and logic, justice and fairness should follow as a result. 
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Pharaoh, Exodus, God, and the Meme that started an argument - Bengalzona - 09-23-2016, 11:22 AM