Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Feels Like a "Must-Win" Game
Ok, stay with me here. I'm using it more as an expression than literal. I don't believe that are any games are must-wins other than games that eliminate you from the playoffs or playoff contention. But I do think that we really need to get a W in this one.

First home game of the season, coming off a tough loss. Even earlier in the year, 1-2 vs 2-1 has a pretty different feel if you're going into the season as a contender. While 1-2 isn't the end of the world, you're left facing with two straight losses, against team many had you rated above going into the season.

Now onto my biggest reasons for an early sense of urgency:

1.) You have the quick turnaround with the Thursday night game. For almost any team not named the Patriots, these Thursday night games reek havoc on teams. All of them. It's just such a quick turnaround when guys should be recovering. You lose 3 full days of what should be needed rest and planning. That's why the stats from so many Thurs. nights game so different than others. Teams are beat up. So you have that in play, coupled with the fact that we have absolutely horrendous in Prime Time under Lewis. Call it bad luck, bad coaching, whatever, but we've been dreadful. So when you account for all that this game scares me a lot more than it usually would. I'd say it's a coin flip.

2.) You're two games following these two home games are both road games, and one just happens to be in Foxboro, when Tom Brady is coming back, from what many consider an unfair punishment. Good luck with that one. I don't want to say we have zero chance to win at Foxboro, but I'd put very low. Like less than 20%, maybe less than 10%

Looking at that stretch, immediately following this game, looks a lot scarier coming off of a loss than a win IMO. I just know how this league works. You're sitting at 1-2, and somehow we drop a game against Miami in Primetime, or in Dallas on the road. That's very easy to see. And God Forbid somehow we lost both. But I think there's a good chance you see a split there. And then with a near automatic L immediately following, you could be looking at 2-4. (This is based on the scenario if we were to lose this week.)

I know some of you are rolling your eyes. And that's fair. I get it. I just know that it's a tough stretch and I think we could really use a 2-1 start going into rather than a 1-2 start. I mean, this team lost 4 games all of the last year. And that was with Andy missing, what, 4 games? I would just hate to start out slow, then hit this stretch and be left with a record that leaves us with a lot of ground to make up.

No reason we shouldn't beat a team that has a 7th round QB, that never had a start before this season, and hasn't looked all that great thus far. At home, it's as close to a must-win for me as it gets. Get it done for us, guys!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
This Feels Like a "Must-Win" Game - Wes Mantooth - 09-24-2016, 11:02 PM