Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People"
(09-26-2016, 02:07 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: As I've had some time since I posted this, and since it's generated zero discussion, I'm wondering it was a mistake to post it.  I realize that so much of what surrounds discussion like this is a extremely sensitive subject.  I do hope I explained myself and worded it in a way that is constructive and doesn't come across as insensitive.

Basically, the video I saw featured a woman, screaming into another woman's face, about what her ancestors did do her ancestors.  I wondered, and have wondered numerous times, if the majority of people realize how wrong it is to describe all white people as the descendents of slaves owners.  It's a broad brush I see used often, and it's seems both unfair and completely counterproductive to trying to promote actual diversity.

My apologies, it actually has had me thinking and do think it's interesting.  But as you eluded to it is complicated.  I can empathize of what people of color (or religion or sexual orientation for that matter) feel, but I am alas a strait white male.  So it is very difficult for me to truly know what it is like to be discriminated against in a systemic fashion in this country.  Even though great strides have been made in the last 20, 30, 40, and 50 yrs. I think more could be made.  I really believe that things will get better with time.  The ones that still think we should be segregated (and have drive through privileges) will die off eventually.  We will continue toward our goal of things being equal for everyone.  We must just continue the fight.  Discussion like this is key though.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People" - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 09-26-2016, 02:44 AM