Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People"
(09-26-2016, 12:21 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm reaching out to those who might come from a different view point than my own, and/or those who would like to have a legitimate discussion about the grouping of white people (by some) as a single entity.  And perhaps I could actually learn something here, I would honestly love a different perspective.

First thing is first, let me explain why exactly this conversation popped into my head.  I saw a video earlier this evening that featured a group of University of Kansas students having a debate about something to do with safe spaces on campus.  One particular woman repeatedly used the term "white people" towards the group she was arguing with. Many times in reference to their ancestors.  ie "Your ancestors benefited by enslaving my people".  "White people" did this and that.

Now let me preface me sharing my perspective with this statement: Slavery was a terrible, terrible thing.  So terrible in fact that I'm not sure there is even a word to describe just how awful it is and was.  And that goes all throughout history.  It's a dark stain on many of the books that write the history of mankind.  Not only as a "white person", but as a human being, I feel a great shame that it has been a part of this world.  I am in no way trying to diminish it's impact on modern society or the awfulness of it.

So here's the deal.  I can't help but feeling that the term "white people" when used to lump all of us together, especially when describing past atrocities, is not only terribly unfair, but incredibly stupid.  Beyond stupid.  So stupid inf act that a person who does this doesn't even deserve a response.

People do know that the vast majority of the current white population, or "white people" not only personally had nothing to with slavery. but none of their ancestors did either, right?  People do know that there weren't too many plantation owners that were German, or Irish, or Jewish, or Italian, or Greek, right?  People have heard of Ellis Island, and the whole timeline of immigration have they not?  If they gave, why do many always have these "white people" grouped together?

Not only do most "white people descend from families who weren't even prior to the late 1800's, there's also a number of them who descend from families that actually fought to free the slaves.

Personally, I am of Irish, German, and Romanian descent.  No one from either of my families was here in the states prior to somewhere right around the turn of the century (1890-1910 range).  Do I, as a "white person" need to feel any more amount of guilt or shame than any other nationality?  If so, why exactly?

I would argue that vilifying me, simply because I'm white and white people owned slaves, is akin to vilifying an African American because of the actions of Somalia pirates.  I mean, after all, the only thing in each example is skin tone, is it not?

Why is it ok to tell "white people" they need to acknowledge the actions of the ancestors when in fact many of the ancestors had nothing to do with any of what is being discussed.  And when exactly can we just start apologizing for our own actions, you know, the one's we have actual control over?

Now, I understand there is this whole other discussion about "white privilege", which is a completely different animal.  And I can sympathize with some of it, but much of it I think is greatly overstated, specially in regards to the economic advantage.  But I digress.  I do understand that is a different debate.

I'm sorry, I just think there is just this grouping by many of all white people together, as if we are guilty for the sins of our fathers, despite the fact they aren't are fathers.  Why is it ok to group such an enormous amount of population together based only on skin tone, and not actual facts?  It just seems incredibly stupid to scream into a white person's face about their ancestor when we all know damn well how many different nationalities make up this great country of ours.

Thoughts????

There's certainly a difference between saying "you white people are to blame" and saying "It is more beneficial in our society to be white, this is what you can do to help". The problem is you're referencing some idiot who needs a safe space on a college campus. You're not getting the most intellectually honest person. One side should concede that life is different for minorities. The other should concede that not all white people make up this group that has been discriminating for centuries. 

One thing I am going to say as a history teacher, though, is that most people didn't fight the Civil War to end slavery. While slavery is certainly the cause for the South to secede (revisionists, yes it is.), the primary cause for putting down this rebellion was to bring American territory back into the union. The North didn't want slavery to spread, but most soldiers in the Union army weren't fighting to free black people. Their complete disinterest in the lives of black people is what allowed reconstruction to end and Jim Crow to thrive for decades. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People" - BmorePat87 - 09-26-2016, 10:04 AM