Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People"
(09-26-2016, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll bet if a "good Muslim" or "good black person" wrote something like this a lot of people would be claiming that he should be doing something to stop the "bad Muslims" or "bad black people".  But none of the "good white people" ever get ripped for not stopping the "bad white people" from being racists.

This country still has plenty of institutional and individual racism by white people.  When this is pointed out to white people their response is always "but that is not me", and they never take any steps to stop the racism.

So if you are one of those white people who criticizes blacks for not addressing the problems in the black culture or who criticizes Muslims for not addressing the problems in radical Muslim culture then you need to start explaining what steps you are taking to address the issue of racism in white culture.

I'm not sure if you actually read what was written or not, but nowhere did I say anything about there not being white racism.

This entire thread was about the grouping of all white people together, specifically when discussing their involvement in slavery.  ie "Your ancestors did..."

IMHO, there seems to be a commonly held belief by many in this country that white people as a whole are responsible for slavery.  All I was trying to have a discussion about is just how many different nationalities make up what some just simplify as "white".

I'll give another example.  There was a Greek family that went to my school.  The father, along with the mother, immigrated here in the late 1970's I believe.  I'm pretty sure some or all of the kids came in tow.  No family here already, just them.  And of course the parents had very, very think accents.  So anyway, the kids spent near their entire lives here.  They are now grown.  They look "white", they talk "white".  By all accounts they are "white".  Should they feel any shame, or guilt, or responsibility when it comes to the subject of slavery?

Again, I'm not talking about white privilege, I even said as much before.  Many lump all whites together as their involvement or responsibility is concerned.  And I think that seems both odd and unfair, given the makeup of our country.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People" - Wes Mantooth - 09-26-2016, 12:41 PM