Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People"
(09-26-2016, 11:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What people conveniently forget is that "white people" have been subject to slavery in the past as well. The Romans took slaves from Britannia (England).

Then later England took slaves from Ireland in mass mostly to get population to work in the West Indies farms. The Irish were the largest source of slavery in the 17th and 18th century, because the British could get them locally and for free/extremely cheap, compared to having to go to Africa and pay larger sums.

- - - - - - - - - -

All that aside, I am of Scottish/Irish/German descent and my family never owned slaves. My great-great-great Grandpa's cap-and-ball revolver and battalion flag is on loan to a Civil War museum from where he fought for the Union Army.

So I just laugh at people who put all white people generalized as slave owners and paint themselves as victims despite being many generations removed from any possible slavery. (Though not all US African-American ((huzzah PC terms rather than just saying American)) people are descendants of slavery.)

There was slavery for 80-ish years in the US. There hasn't been slavery for 150-ish years. At the risk of sounding insensitive, it's time to get over it.

The end of the civil war is 1865.  Slavery had been a part of the country's founding which is roughly 1650.  So we're talking more than 200 yrs of slavery.  Then we're also talking about minorities treated as 2nd class citizens for at least another 100 yrs (1865-1965, the beginning of the civil rights movement), segregation and all that.  My parents were part of that generation.  That is not that long ago, there are people that are still alive that experienced a lot of that.  So telling them to just "get over it" is ignorant at best, insensitive at worse.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People" - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 09-27-2016, 01:48 AM