Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today in "I Can't Believe I just Saw That"....
(09-27-2016, 03:33 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Sorry - coming off a bad week and I'm a bit testy.

I lived in some apartments like the ones you're describing. It was nice enough - right up until the city came in and opened all the empty units and we saw our own building's dirty underbelly as left by some of the previous tenants.

Seriously I wish I had my old SD card to show you - the units looked like they had been burned ffrom the inside. It was black mold. Needless to say the more respectable residents filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of everyone. The owner promptly fled the country back to his native land (Romania I believe).

If you Google Riviera Maia apartments Toledo, you might be able to find some photos. It was bad.

Yeah, here it go bad pretty quick.  Within 10 years that entire side of the neighborhood was completely destroyed.  Luckily I'm in the next neighborhood over, but I'm in that area all of the time.  It's rough.  There's visible prostitution at night, there's needles all around, the community park is nowhere you want to be unless there is a big event, an 90 year man was beaten unconscious near the Walgreens, elderly woman being attack for their purse.  My buddy was actually parked in that Kroger, just sitting in his spot, when a woman hit his car.  She didn't stop, just stuck her head out the window and yelled "It's fine aint nothing wrong with your car!" and drove off.  The list goes on and on.

I don't want to get into a huge thing about subsidized housing, but it wrecked that community.  What you used to individual landlords, now are slumlords who bought up blocks of housing and rent out to people using vouchers.  They know they're getting their check every month, and they do minimal repairs.  It's a gold mine for them.  Meanwhile all of the homeowners that surround this one big strip of apartments (there's about a mile full of building coming up into their neighborhood) have had their home values plummet.  It's really sad.

I did google your apartments that you were in.  I'm sorry you got caught up in that mess.  That's awful.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Today in "I Can't Believe I just Saw That".... - Wes Mantooth - 09-27-2016, 04:31 PM