Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coyle's secondary...back to the days of Bresh?
(09-28-2016, 09:12 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is not a defense of Kevin Coyle so please don't flame me too hard. Smirk

The problem isn't too much Kevin Coyle.  The problem is a lack of Reggie Nelson.

When Reggie was Cincinnati's free safety, he provided over the top coverage second to none.  With Reggie over the top, the cornerbacks could play as close as they wanted to any receiver in the NFL because they knew Reggie literally had their backs.  Josh Shaw doesn't have the speed or the knowledge Reggie did and strong safeties like George Iloka aren't expected to be so proficient at over the top coverage.  

With these factors in mind, mind, the Bengals' cornerbacks must play over the top too.  It prevents most long pass plays but allows completion of most any pass under 25 yards.

Flame you?  

I get your point, and it is a legitimate one.  But here is mine:  If they don't feel they have legit safety help over the top, why did they stay in cover three a lot and why didn't they bring that safety up to the line and create more pass rush with him?  The scheme they were doing was not working worth a damn, and that is a part of what drives me crazy is the lack of in-game adjustments.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coyle's secondary...back to the days of Bresh? - SHRacerX - 09-28-2016, 09:21 AM