Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People"
(09-29-2016, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a perfect example from my own life.  I went to college in Knoxville less than 30 years ago.  When the University of Tennessee hired Wade Houston as the first black head basketball coach in the SEC the Cherokee Country Club who had provided a membership to every head coach of every sport at the University for decades, refused to offer him a membership because they did not allow black members.  This was not a bunch of ignorant red necks with rebel flags on their pick up trucks.  This was the power elite of Knoxville who controlled business decisions on hiring, promotions, business contracts.  Basically they controlled the economy of Knoxville and they were all such huge racists that they would not allow a wealthy, successful, college educated man join their social club just because of the color of his skin.

Now, if you are going to argue that there is on evidence that these racists were racists in their business dealings then I am not even going to respond.  Everyone knows that in the city of Knoxville white people had an advantage when applying for a job, trying to get a promotion, trying to borrow money, trying to gets contracts to supply or work with the larger businesses, etc etc.  All of these advantages increase wealth.  And because of this increased wealth the children of these people went to better schools, had access to more education resources (computers, tutors, summer camps), and continued to have more connections to people who can get them better jobs.

I find this to be a terrible example when used to try convince me that white privilege exists for all whites in 2016.

You've given an example of some "white people", who are probably all dead by now, from 30 years ago, who had a racist club selection practices.

This does nothing to convince me that for all whites there is an inherit privilege just for simply being white in 2016.  Nothing.  There is no built economic advantage for all whites just for being white.  There is no built in educational advantage for all whites either.  Social advantage, that maybe can be discussed.  But I don't think you can ever apply it to everyone, in any case.

You simply can't talk in absolutes.  All whites benefiting from the color of thire skin is incorrect as saying that all blacks have been hindered by theirs.  Some have, some haven't.  Some.  There's a big difference.

There are plenty of white kids that are given nothing.  Nothing.  No money, terrible schools, terrible parenting, terrible health care.  And there's plenty of blacks that enjoy immense privileges.  Born into wealth, best schools, best healthcare, every resource imaginable.  Even if the numbers are disproportion there's a lot that goes into that.  Regardless, the idea of white privilege for all is just not true.  Not now, not in this time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People" - Wes Mantooth - 09-29-2016, 04:14 PM