Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People"
(09-29-2016, 04:14 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I find this to be a terrible example when used to try convince me that white privilege exists for all whites in 2016.

You've given an example of some "white people", who are probably all dead by now, from 30 years ago, who had a racist club selection practices.

This does nothing to convince me that for all whites there is an inherit privilege just for simply being white in 2016.  Nothing.  There is no built economic advantage for all whites just for being white.  There is no built in educational advantage for all whites either.  Social advantage, that maybe can be discussed.  But I don't think you can ever apply it to everyone, in any case.

You simply can't talk in absolutes.  All whites benefiting from the color of thire skin is incorrect as saying that all blacks have been hindered by theirs.  Some have, some haven't.  Some.  There's a big difference.

There are plenty of white kids that are given nothing.  Nothing.  No money, terrible schools, terrible parenting, terrible health care.  And there's plenty of blacks that enjoy immense privileges.  Born into wealth, best schools, best healthcare, every resource imaginable.  Even if the numbers are disproportion there's a lot that goes into that.  Regardless, the idea of white privilege for all is just not true.  Not now, not in this time.

There are more poor white people than poor black people. (And, yes, there are more rich white people than rich black people).
[Image: giphy.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People" - PhilHos - 09-30-2016, 12:55 PM