Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redskins and other offensive product names
(10-03-2016, 05:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The below is the latest on the Redskins:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/supreme-court-rejects-trademark-appeal-from-washington-redskins-150634854.html

I know we kicked this can down the road in the old forum, but just wanted to get updated views.

What are folks thoughts on the Washington Redskins and/or other offensively named products " MY NAPPY HAIR shampoo, ect..."?

I found it to be an unusal dynamic that the Asian band is fighting to keep its name "The Slants".

The U.S. has over 1000 official towns, city, landmarks with flat out racist names.....seems a bit hypocritical? Chinaman Lagoon and Dago Creek in Arkansas; Wetback Tank, New Mexico; Darkey Springs in Tennessee; and Jew Point in Florida are all real/recognized names of places in the U.S. We are going to tell a private business what they can and can't name a football team, or at least not protect their intellectual property for said team, while having these as U.S. cities and landmarks.

I don't think it is anyone's business what name they trademark as it is up to the customers on how they feel about it. Trademarks should be seen as an extension of the first amendment and in turn you should be able to trademark any kind of language, even hate language.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Redskins and other offensive product names - Au165 - 10-03-2016, 05:39 PM