Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In hindsight, the Bengals FO did a poor job this off season
(10-05-2016, 08:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I understand completely what you are saying here, but let me offer some perspective:

The money that was paid to guys like Marvin, Sanu, and 1. Nelson was ridiculous and not worth the investment here. Why?  Because Eifert, as we are witnessing, is much more important to this offense (rushing and red zone) than the WRs Jones and Sanu.  The others simply aren't as good as the options the Bengals had to replace them with so it was a good decision.  2. All these FA defections will yield significant compensatory picks in next year's draft....and they just became trade-able (the picks).  With no FA acquisitions, the calculation is a bit of a mystery, but the max I believe a team could acquire is three third rounders.  That would be borderline incredible.  And Jones, Sanu, Hall, Nelson, and Smith are all starting and a number of them are highly compensated.  Somehow, that all figures in to the equation.  

The coaches?  You don't own the rights to them, but I agree it is very disappointing the way they stuck with Marvin yet again.  I would have much rather had Hue running the team with Marvin as some personnel manager (and I would pay him well to do that....dude knows talent).  You can say they didn't learn from their first loss with Zimmer, but Mike Brown clearly would rather have the conservative coach that is not at all outspoken to run his team.  

The offensive line still has a chance to gel and end the season as a solid unit.  I believe in Fisher and Ced O.  The defensive line is at least holding up against some of the better teams in the NFL, and they should start to look much better with Tez back out there.  I also am very encouraged that Hunt and Clarke seem to be solid contributors.  I really thought keeping them and not signing Freeney was a big mistake.  

The big whiff was at Center.  It appears Bodine might actually be worse than feared.  He is on roller skates.  Not pushing him with a FA or a decent draft selection was a big mistake.  Look at what Alex Mack has done for Altanta.  That could have been Cincy.  You can bet next year, an early pick will be used at Center.  

Right now, Altanta looks pretty good with their FA acquisitions, but it also forces them to have a 3. paper-thin roster.  They don't have talent in the wings like the Bengals to back up numerous positions.  If/when they suffer a few key injuries...well, they started last year 5-0 as well....and finished 8-8

1. 2yr/$8.5m? They instead gave Shawn Williams 5yr/$20m to not be able to cover people or tackle. You can't spin that as a positive move.

- - - - -

2. There's a limit on compensatory picks, there can only be 32 total picks given out in a year. There were a LOT of big contracts given out this offseason. The Bengals probably aren't getting a 3rd round comp pick in 2017. They're based largely on contracts given, and Jones got the biggest of the Bengals FAs, but is only 10th on that list in $/yr avg. They're not going to give 10 3rd round picks.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/5/5/11595824/denver-broncos-should-get-four-compensatory-picks-in-2017
This projects the Bengals getting a 4th for Jones and Sanu, a 5th for Nelson, and a 6th for Andre.

Nothing they could do about Marvin Jones, but I would have gladly given away the 5th round pick to have kept Nelson. Or given it away to sign someone like Travis Benjamin at WR. Or given up Andre's 6th rounder to sign Anquan Boldin so the Bengals would have some surer hands to throw to on third down.

Refusing to improve your team in FA for possible compensation picks two years later is an awful move. All the latest SB winners were players in FA. Going for it all is better than muddling around with one foot in, one foot out. That's how you turn into the Reds.

- - - - -

3. I really don't think the Bengals depth is as good as you think it is anymore. Boling went down and Fisher came in as the backup and was awful. There's no meaningful WRs after Green. Without Eifert there's no redzone threat from the TE spot. If Atkins or Dunlap go down, the DL is in trouble. The Bengals are one Adam Jones injury away from Chris Lewis-Harris being a starter.

The depth just isn't there anymore.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: In hindsight, the Bengals FO did a poor job this off season - TheLeonardLeap - 10-05-2016, 09:24 AM