Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In hindsight, the Bengals FO did a poor job this off season
(10-05-2016, 09:24 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 1. 2yr/$8.5m? They instead gave Shawn Williams 5yr/$20m to not be able to cover people or tackle. You can't spin that as a positive move.

- - - - -

2. There's a limit on compensatory picks, there can only be 32 total picks given out in a year. There were a LOT of big contracts given out this offseason. The Bengals probably aren't getting a 3rd round comp pick in 2017. They're based largely on contracts given, and Jones got the biggest of the Bengals FAs, but is only 10th on that list in $/yr avg. They're not going to give 10 3rd round picks.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/5/5/11595824/denver-broncos-should-get-four-compensatory-picks-in-2017
This projects the Bengals getting a 4th for Jones and Sanu, a 5th for Nelson, and a 6th for Andre.

Nothing they could do about Marvin Jones, but I would have gladly given away the 5th round pick to have kept Nelson. Or given it away to sign someone like Travis Benjamin at WR. Or given up Andre's 6th rounder to sign Anquan Boldin so the Bengals would have some surer hands to throw to on third down.

Refusing to improve your team in FA for possible compensation picks two years later is an awful move. All the latest SB winners were players in FA. Going for it all is better than muddling around with one foot in, one foot out. That's how you turn into the Reds.

- - - - -

3. I really don't think the Bengals depth is as good as you think it is anymore. Boling went down and Fisher came in as the backup and was awful. There's no meaningful WRs after Green. Without Eifert there's no redzone threat from the TE spot. If Atkins or Dunlap go down, the DL is in trouble. The Bengals are one Adam Jones injury away from Chris Lewis-Harris being a starter.

The depth just isn't there anymore.

TH=hat's a lot of research in one post, Rep!  

I had not seen that projection about compensatory picks, but I am not sure of the formula and how much of it takes pure salary in to account.  Remember, though, that if a team signs their own FA, it might be included in that top 10 free agent signings, but would not contribute to the compensatory equation.  

The Bengals also lost Gilberry and Lamur and the formula takes in to account ALL losses and all gains.  I don't believe they signed a single FA from another team.  

Your first numerated point is spot on, though.  I don't think Reggie has been killing it for Oakland, but I think he would have still been better in this defense.  Hind sight being 20/20, we all thought Shawn had flashed enough to warrart that contract and he had earned his shot.  Perhaps Burfict lining everybody up will help Shawn.  I don't know, but I hope that Shawn might shine more as the season and his experience moves forward.

I hear ya loud and clear about the lack of depth, but I believe that the experience gained by Uzomah and Kroft will be invaluable.  Those guys have talent, and they are getting a chance to show their stuff as starters.  And while I agree that the defensive line is paper thin at DT, remember they drafted Billings for that.  He will be back next year.  WJIII could be back this year....possibly.  I completely disagree about the WRs, though.  It is on Zamp that he is rarely playing 3 WRs (which I think is a huge mistake) , but at this point of the season Boyd and Lafell have more yards and receptions than the 4-0 Bengals of a year ago did with Jones and Sanu.  They just need more opportunities.  I mean, Boyd looked great against pitt and what was his reward?  Minimal snaps against the Broncos.  I just don't get it sometimes.  Uzomah has 4 receptions for 45 yards in the first half and never sees another ball?  Crazy. Core will still be an impact, I'm guessing once they start going more 3 and 4 WR sets that he will get his chance.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: In hindsight, the Bengals FO did a poor job this off season - SHRacerX - 10-05-2016, 10:34 PM