Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The rise of denial and anti-intellectualism in the US
(10-06-2016, 04:03 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, interestingly enough, this corresponds with the timing of the chapter on public opinion in my American politics class this semester. We have been talking about how people in general, even when presented with facts, often won't change their preconceived opinions. This happens not just with the people we often assume it does, but even the well educated will do it, sometimes even more so. This stems from them thinking they already have the right answer and will be obstinate about it.

It's really interesting just how little facts can actually sway people. Researchers have found recently that the best way to get someone to accept facts that counter their preformed opinions and get them to change their mind is to make them feel good about themselves first. I think our media does a pretty piss poor job of that, so we know that isn't going to help. LOL

One problem is the battle line we have between each other.  I remember on one board i used to belong to saying that in hindsight, the way it was carried out, the Iraq War was not a good idea.  First response was "I'm sure the 4000 dead Americans appreciate that."  Who is going to admit they were wrong when that's the response?  Personally whenever someone concedes something I try to be as gracious as possible because 1. admitting you are wrong is not easy, and 2. if you are a dick, then next time it won't happen, and we just all dig in.

And non eof that explains close to half of the people never hearing of the Holocaust. That's not a pride thing. If true, I don't know what the hell that is.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The rise of denial and anti-intellectualism in the US - michaelsean - 10-06-2016, 04:33 PM