Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns Don't Deter Crime, Study Finds
(07-12-2015, 12:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The relationship between gun ownership and crime is very complicated.  In many cases people try very hard to work the numbers to favor their own opinion instead of searching for the truth.

Many times gun control only becomes a big issue after a mass murder, but these type of crimes are actually very very rare.  They should not be used as the basis for gun control.

On the other hand the incidents of innocent people getting gunned down by strangers is also pretty rare.  Burglars try very hard to avoid entering a home when someone is at home.

The overwhelming majority of gun murders are criminals killing other criminals (usually gang related) or people that know each other (often living in the same house) getting into disputes that lead to a shooting.

Most people feel that they are safer with a gun in their home, but the statistics say that they are not.  On average the chances of someone in the home killing someone else in the home (either by accident or on purpose) is higher than the chances the gun will be used in self defense.  However even though I know this is true I keep a gun in my home for defense.  And that is because I feel that I am "above average".  the problem is that everyone feels they are "above average" and that just is not possible.

We will never be able to outlaw guns in this country.  but we have to do whatever we can to keep guns out of the hands of people who are not responsible enough to keep them safely.  this means every gun should be registered to an owner and every gun owner has to pass a safety class.  We do the same thing with cars.  I would not be that hard.

I have no desire to ban guns or limit the amount someone can own.

I am for more better registration, more required training and stricter punishment for no reporting lost of stolen guns.  As you say no everyone is "above average". 

But I do believe that having a gun simply leads to more people think they have to have a bigger gun.  And in America, too often, we think that shooting is the answer to the problem...whatever the problem may be.  We like our violent solutions and we believe they will only affect the other guy.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Guns Don't Deter Crime, Study Finds - GMDino - 07-12-2015, 12:55 PM