Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If we don't make the postseason...
(10-10-2016, 02:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So if Marvin is such a hot commodity why does he continue to take extremely favorable contracts from an owner he's publicly blamed for putting the team behind the eight ball?  Your entire mindset (while understandable) proves my take on this situation:  it's like a marriage that isn't great but god help us, we aren't perfect either and if we get a divorce we'll just have to go through asset separation and lawyers and get back on the dating scene and may very well just end up with someone worse than the person we aren't happy with.

Status quo.  Marvin let it win after 2010, but I guess the fact that Mike Brown didn't insist on drafting Mallet over Dalton shows that a mere decade of bending over for someone can soften the hardest of hearts. 

So my question, if Marvin is such a hot commodity and crucial to what amount of relative success we have then why does he let Mike Brown keep him under his thumb like this?  I think Marvin is a ho-hum coach who was a great hire over a decade ago who eventually grew to not like where he is/was and he was given a few token concessions in order to keep him quiet.  But I'll agree, we're probably even more fudged if he left.  It was post-2010 or never, says I. The bed has been made.

The answer lies in this post. It's not a coincidence that Mike Brown ceded some of his power over to his daughter/Marvin after Marvin went public about some things. After the concessions were made, it's likely that Lewis stuck it out in hopes that progress would continue. He wasn't entirely wrong on this. We made the postseason for 5 straight years, after all. But it looks like the latest roadbump on the Green-Dalton era is a repeat of the Palmer-Johnson one.

Something's gotta give soon. IDK if this means Mike stops being a stubborn dick and gives up more power or we enter another rebuild year, but I don't see a stable ship if the Bengals keep playing the way they are. Finger pointing is probably underway as we speak. There were hints of fingerpointing in reports after last year's wild card debacle.

I think the jury is still out on Lewis being under Brown's thumb. I think it comes down to whether or not he retires (because his little plan with HUE and his contracts suggest that it will happen sooner than later) or decides to coach elsewhere. If he just retires, you're probably right on this.

What hurts the most, IMO, is that we're watching two of the greatest Bengals to ever wear strips get older, frailer, and even more frustrated about everything. Did you see the look on Dalton's face yesterday? That's not a face that says "I'm okay with this now and will be for years to come".  I think that's the only thing to look forward to if the season continues as is. What happens next as emotions run higher, failure becomes more common, and people ask whose to blame?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If we don't make the postseason... - THE Bigzoman - 10-10-2016, 03:34 PM