Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pharaoh, Exodus, God, and the Meme that started an argument
(10-13-2016, 09:57 AM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: In all honesty I have to say I agree with you here. I've seen people use the argument that people believe in God because a belief in God gives them comfort in knowing there's life after death.

If anything a belief in God makes the afterlife more terrifying because if you believe in both God and hell, then that means there's a possibility you can go to hell. That to me is not comforting, nor soothing to think about and actually worries me more than just not existing. Believing in God creates a life long struggle to make it to heaven so that you can live in peace rather than live in hell. If I didn't believe in God, and thought there was non-existence after death, then what would there be to fear? Dying and having to stand before an omnipotent being that will judge you for your sins is way more scarier than just dying and becoming nothing.

Disagree. With religion you are provided a chance, maybe for some not great, but a chance to "live" forever in an awesome place. If you don't believe in an afterlife then when you die the lights go out and that is it. There is no watching over loved ones and all the other great perks of the "good" afterlife religious people talk about. The idea of the lights simply going out is enough to terrify most, and it is what pushes many to magically believe in god right before they die. They want to make a last ditch effort just in case there is something other than nothing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Pharaoh, Exodus, God, and the Meme that started an argument - Au165 - 10-13-2016, 10:18 AM