Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOP office in NC firebombed and vandalized overnight
So, here is an interesting turn of events in all of this. I'm not going to post links, I will let you read what you want to on it, but there was a Democrat in Massachusetts that started a GoFundMe campaign to help rebuild the location. They had set a goal of $10, raised $13k. She encouraged other Democrats to give and while it certainly wasn't just them there was a large response. Lots of people leaving comments about not agreeing with the GOP, but how we can't tolerate this type of action. A lot of statements that I hope all of us would agree with.

There is, though, a bit of a disagreement over this going on. Many people are saying that they shouldn't give to this because it is essentially a NSA donation to the GOP, especially in NC where there has been an ongoing battle with civil rights issues for the LGBT community. They are arguing that giving is conflating empathy for the victims of violence with support of an institution that has been working to deny civil rights (in their eyes, not going to argue whether this is true or not).

So, this presents an ethical conundrum. What do you think?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: GOP office in NC firebombed and vandalized overnight - Belsnickel - 10-17-2016, 10:49 AM