Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bernie Supporters and Bad Memes
(07-14-2015, 03:38 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Most fruits and veggies are somewhat reasonable, but meat has went sky-high.
All food costs have risen, as fuel prices increased.
The problem is that they never fell, after the cost of fuel lowered, and they get bumped again with any minor increase.
I guess the only good part is that now the prices are on par with local suppliers and I can justify buying those local organic items.

I realize that not everyone goes shopping, but I assure you that groceries take up a larger percentage of a families budget than it did 3-4 years ago.

I'll stand by my pasta concern.
It is cheaper and most poorer people fill up on it.
We need the fats from the (now even more expensive) meats to balance out.
Being poor and filling up on pasta causes and unhealthy addiction to those carbs, leading to poorer and poorer health.

http://www.13.waisays.com/diabetes.htm

From someone who is type II (yay genetics!  :snark: ), I can attest that your pasta concern is spot on.  Processed carbohydrates are worse for you than raw sugar as far as your A1C is concerned.  The first couple of years, I thought I was doing good by switching to "whole grain" or "whole Wheat" breads and pastas.  Wrong.  We now use spaghetti squash in place of pasta, and that reduces my carbs by 3/4....and what carbs are ingested are healthier and don't cause glucose spikes.  A lot of fruits and vegetables at our house.

Amen on the price of meat!  Even friggin cold cuts are ridiculous!  However, like you said, the gouging at the grocery has led us to go to the farmer's market for lean meats, eggs, and a lot of veggies.  Better for us, and better for the local economy to boot.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bernie Supporters and Bad Memes - Wyche'sWarrior - 07-14-2015, 04:07 PM