Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bernie Supporters and Bad Memes
(07-14-2015, 11:06 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Raising minimum wage isn't Sanders only solution to the poverty problem. He also advocates universal healthcare, free public university educations and infrastructure building to create jobs.

Here's a good story about his time as mayor and how he made Burlington a better place to work and live for all of its citizens, not just the wealthy.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/what-kind-of-mayor-was-bernie-sanders

Not sure if we could afford it, but universal health care would help those who are poor in heavily populated areas. It's not going to do much to improve the fact that these poor rural communities cannot keep these types of services. These rural hospitals cannot afford to stay open or offer all that an urban hospital can.

Not sure if free public university is going to change any of this. Those affected by this degree of poverty tend to barely make it through high school. Nearly anyone who can make it through high school and wants to go to college can get a loan to go to college. Whether or not they're capable of completing college is a different question.

Infrastructure jobs are short term jobs and don't address the issues that face a poor rural community, though I do support a push to update our infrastructure. I'd rather we build it here than in another country.

Though I do appreciate you shedding more light on Bernie. I imagine that these changes are easier down at the local level. Not sure if you can run the whole US as you can Burlington, Vermont. Shit, the city I am from has more than twice the population as Burlington.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bernie Supporters and Bad Memes - BmorePat87 - 07-14-2015, 11:43 PM