Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confederate Flag stuff has gone too far.
(07-06-2015, 09:43 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: So I think we all agree, that the confederate flag should not be flown from government buildings.  And that any yahoo can fly one from their home, car, or motorcycle.  It may be used as beer cozies, t-shirts, bikinis, bumper stickers or whatever personal item you can think to slap it on. Including the General Lee.

What about public high schools? For example my son goes to a school that are called the "Rebels" and use the confederate flag.  Which is weird to me because his school is in Indiana.  However this is very rural Indiana and if you didn't know better, you could easily mistake it for Kentucky.  No offense to anyone in Kentucky. Ninja

I wish all the people in my facebook feed could agree that it shouldn't be on public buildings, and that stores have the right to remove it from their shelves, but I digress...

I think it's poor taste to have it as a high school mascot, as well. Any decent high school history class will tell you that the Confederacy was primarily a group of traitors, racists, and ultimately, losers (anyone who cares to argue that point is probably also flying a Nazi flag due to their anti-smoking agenda). Why one would willingly turn that into a mascot is beyond me. Even Ole Miss had the sense to switch mascots from "Colonel Reb" to a bear a few years back (see also, Redskins controversy in Washington compared to Miami of Ohio). If you're behind the times enough that a school in Mississippi is more PC than you, there's some catching up to be done.

Besides, as 'Zona alluded to, there are some much better "Rebels" in history to look up to.

[Image: l71822-rebel-alliance-logo-40290.png]

Ninja

Messages In This Thread
RE: Confederate Flag stuff has gone too far. - Ryuko - 07-15-2015, 06:58 PM