Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The issues that face the Nation
(10-28-2016, 11:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Correct, but here where I live sales tax is around 10%, and 40 cents per gallon on gas.  And while there is no sales tax on rent the landlord's property taxes are paid out of the rental income.

So someone working for cash under the table making $25,000 pays well over $2000 in taxes.  A legal worker (single person) making $25,000 would pay about $1700 in federal income tax.  So that is still a net positive in taxes paid.

You'd be correct only if the legal resident didn't also pay the exact same taxes in addition to federal and state income taxes.  But they do so you're not.  It's quite simple;

Legal resident pays: Federal income tax, state tax, sales tax, rental income (or property tax if they own a home)

Illegal resident pays: sales tax, rental income

Not a net positive anyway you try and slice it.

Quote:Then you have to balance the cost of deporting all these people against the cost of allowing them to stay in the country.  And it is hard to find an unbiased analysis of this issue.  One side will inflate the cost of deportation while the other side will inflate the cost of allowing them to stay.

It is a very complicated issue.

I agree, mass deportation would be very expensive.  It would also be unnecessary.  Simply prosecute employers who hire illegal workers, aggressively.  Hit them with huge, progressive, fines for every illegal worker for every day they worked.  With no job or means to acquire one people will leave voluntarily.  While I agree that the issue is complicated the means of "deportation", if one chose that route, is absolutely not.

Messages In This Thread
The issues that face the Nation - bfine32 - 10-25-2016, 11:50 AM
RE: The issues that face the Nation - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-28-2016, 12:05 PM
RE: The issues that face the Nation - xxlt - 10-25-2016, 01:55 PM
RE: The issues that face the Nation - xxlt - 10-25-2016, 09:53 PM
RE: The issues that face the Nation - xxlt - 10-25-2016, 09:51 PM