Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The issues that face the Nation
(10-28-2016, 12:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: I agree with going after the people using the illegal workers. 

But as to the highlighted part I thought that would just lead to more crime?

Not much. Unlike Trump I am aware that most immigrants are not criminals in that sense.  They just want to earn money to send home.  Illegal immigrants are generally hard working and law abiding people.  That doesn't change my point at all though.

(10-28-2016, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It will cost a lot of money to step up prosecution.  Maybe just as much as stepping up deportation.  They both require the same amount of work i.e. locating and identifying illegal workers.  How do you prove that a lawn service is paying cash to workers when there is no paper trail?

To some extent, which would also be offset by the fines collected against employers for violating the law.  But in reality cost of enforcement is a non-issue.  Your point assumes that the people put in charge of enforcement aren't already being paid by their job to enforce the law in other areas or ways.  In reality it wouldn't cost more as the people involved are already making a pay check.  As to your last sentence, IRS auditors live for that shit.

(10-28-2016, 12:48 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: There is data to support that more Mexicans are leaving the US than entering (http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/11/19/more-mexicans-leaving-than-coming-to-the-u-s/). Offsetting this is the increase of Indian and Chinese immigration, far outpacing recent years of Mexican immigration. 

The caused me to wonder about the total cost of illegal immigration, which according to this: http://www.fairus.org/publications/the-fiscal-burden-of-illegal-immigration-on-united-states-taxpayers is $113 billion total, $84 billion being at the state and local level, and $29 billion for Federal. One number that jumped out was the $52 billion cost for educating the children of illegal immigrants. This report shows tax receipts of $9.5 billion for Federal, and app. $4 billion for state and local from illegal aliens. 

What I'm looking for now is an accurate report assessing where the holes are in our current law that is preventing getting these numbers under control, and what is being done to improve the situation other than yapping on and on about building a wall.

Thank you for taking the time to post hard data.  I'm at work and don't really have the time.

(10-28-2016, 02:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The healthcare is money lost in the private sector. Money spent at the municipal level is generated primarily from property taxes and sales taxes, which they can't avoid. They may not pay the property taxes directly, but they pay them indirectly through their landlords. Money to pay for roads is picked up from vehicle registrations, which they often do pay, just again it is often indirectly, and through gasoline taxes which are unavoidable.

Good points until you get to vehicle registration.  Those are often forged or stolen from other vehicles.  There's a reason every Californian scores the crap out of their registration sticker, so it can't be peeled off and reused.  Gasoline tax is the same as sales tax, which has already been conceded.

Quote:I will say something about an earlier post, though. The whole illegal immigrants having an ITIN is bull shit. More often than not they are using another person's SSN/ITIN to obtain employment and so taxes are being paid in that person's name.

Very true, which often causes immense problems for the person whose SSN is being used.  Their credit score is often decimated which can cause irreparable damage to a person's life.  Using someone else's SSN is a significant crime and a huge detriment to the victim.

Messages In This Thread
The issues that face the Nation - bfine32 - 10-25-2016, 11:50 AM
RE: The issues that face the Nation - xxlt - 10-25-2016, 01:55 PM
RE: The issues that face the Nation - xxlt - 10-25-2016, 09:53 PM
RE: The issues that face the Nation - xxlt - 10-25-2016, 09:51 PM
RE: The issues that face the Nation - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-28-2016, 03:28 PM