Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building Through the Draft - Defense
Probably shouldn't be posting as I'm really ticked off at this team, so I'm going to make some probably irrational statements.

But I'm upset with the play of Jones.    He has played too soft and has done pretty much nothing in press, plus his tackling - like most of the defense - has been below par.

Everyone is down on Dennard, but he did well when covering the outside as CB.  He has been weak in the slot, but has really not had a lot of consecutive snaps.   If the season proceeds down the drain I'd pull Jones and let Dennard get the snaps he needs to get up to speed.  His tackling has been pretty good.  The ST gaff was so frustrating but it was really bad luck on his part.  He was looking at the ball at the precise moment that the returner motioned for the fair catch.

I'm furious with our linebackers.   Maualuga and Burfict look like butter balls.  They're slow and playing more undisciplined than they used to, though the holding call on Burfict appeared to be the result of Iloka not fulfilling his responsibility.  And I know everyone loves the Vigil kid, but despite his pretty good coverage the guy can't tackle.  He whiffs and seems scared to put a shoulder into anyone.  I hope I'm wrong but I think he'll be a whiff.   And Flowers seems athletic enough but doesn't seem very smart.  And again, if the season proceeds towards the drain I'd like to see what Dawson could do with some sustained snaps in replacement for one of the two butter balls and/ or the old man at strong side LB.   Without really knowing what goes on behind closed doors my impression is that Marvin cuts his nose to spite a poor practice player who has a history of producing on the field.  Get his butt on the field and see what he can do.  And none of this we'll try you for a play and pull you out crap.

The safeties are a mess.  It's one mess up after another, and I'm starting to believe that Iloka is as much to blame as Williams.   He wasn't perfect but letting Nelson go was a mistake.

Johnson and Peko look done to me.  Great guys, but they get shoved and redirected all over the field.  Peko makes an occasional great play, but most of the time his plays are 4 yards down field.

Bodine is looking better, but is always good for a total whiff in the run game and getting shoved back into the QBs lap.   I didn't see him shoved this game, but he totally whiffed on a running play that should have gone for some good yardage, but was totally stuffed with him standing there looking at I don't know what.

Andy picked the worst day to return to his less than excellent ways.  I realize he was pressured but he made bad decisions and took sacks where he should have gotten rid of the ball much sooner.  And he was not as accurate as he has been missing several critical throws.

It seems like we have enough talent to get it done on offense - where we expected to have the most difficulties.  Dalton has been really good for the most part, AJ Green is arguably the best receiver in the league - I truly feel he is after just destroying Norman yesterday.  And Eifert is unstoppable unless you get away with targeting the way the Steelers do.

The defense, however, seems to have a disturbing dearth of talent after years of revered drafting.  And it infuriates me to read on Bengals.com that they stood tall - at any point - when we gave up nearly 500 yards passing.  Nor could they stop the run consistently.  They were just an embarrassment from top to bottom.  No one could rush, cover or tackle.

Ok, I've purged enough.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Building Through the Draft - Defense - 3wt - 10-31-2016, 12:56 PM