Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Guenther - Why not Blitz more?
I have been saying it for two years now, but I don't know what people see in Paul Guenther. I see posts on this board and elsewhere where people complain about this player or that player, but I want to know when will it become a realization that some of the blame rests on Guenther?

I did not catch the entire game on Sunday, but I watched most of it and from what I saw, Guenther's go to play is: drop in a zone and rush the 4 linemen. This would work if we could collapse the pocket with our front four or get any kind of push. Instead, we get nothing and the QB has all day to throw.

I don't get why Guenther doesn't blitz more. I see other teams do it all the time. Peko and MJ are getting beat in 1 on 1 blocks all day. Geno and Dunlap are getting double teams. Why not blitz a LB or something? I think it can be determined that our LBs are our weakest part of the defense. Why not send them at the QB instead of guarding a RB or TE and giving up 8 to 10 yard gains all day?

One of the better plays of the last playoff game was Burfict blitz that sacked, hurt, and should have been called a fumble on Ben. But we don't see much of that anymore. This zone is easily dissected by opposing QBs and is creating little if any stops or takeaways.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Paul Guenther - Why not Blitz more? - CincyWestside - 11-01-2016, 11:43 AM