Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone explain to me.... (regarding Trump)
(11-15-2016, 07:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: The problem I have with some of these stories is that once the media (all media kids...not just the "lamestream" media) grabs on to a thing it gets the front page.  So these may have always been going on and mostly ignored as background noise or they could be new based on current events.

Still...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/racist-post-michelle-obama-causes-backlash-162317880.html

Most of my friends on FB tend to be Dems, so I get a steady feed of these kinds of posts all day long. But I doubt that many GOP followers see that kind of stuff. And if they do, they attribute it to left-reporting media.

That is part of the problem in today's society: you pick and choose the news YOU want to hear. You don't ever have to listen to news you may not like or that you may be uncomfortable with. I'm not just dinging Fox News and the GOP. It goes on with every political view. It is the new reality.

Younger people (say 40 and below) were born into this reality and may not even realize that things used to be different. In the 60's and 70's, media was required by FCC rules to provide equal play time for opposing views on political issues. You watch an evening of silly shows like Happy Days, MASH, etc. Then, around midnight, stations would broadcast a show with a mediator and two exceptionally boring dudes sitting on either side of him each expressing opposing opinions on a political issue. Sometimes they would get into a heated debate. But usually, they would just say their piece and go.

This all changed around 1988 during the first Bush Admin. The FCC was ordered to change their rules and no longer monitor the political content in the media. This wasn't such a big deal at the time. It was made because cable TV was expanding to almost 100 stations (at that time) and the GOP, who have generally mistrusted media since the 60's anyway, felt this would even the playing field in media. There could be stations which promoted their views. Also, biased "shock jock" radio was becomng more popular.

I don't think that they envisioned the transformations that would occur during the next couple of decades. Fox News, a young upstart trying to make a name among the original "Big 3", would transform itself into a conservative flagship and would successfully feed off of right-wing media mistrust. Additionally, the internet suddenly became 'a thing'. Now, we don't even use the phrase "surfing the web". It is just part of daily life: what you do everyday. And with the internet, you could go anywhere you want and live there. You don't ever have to hear news you don't want to hear.

Is this better? I don't know. All I know is that it is the new reality and a big reason for the bifurcation of today's society. Perhaps a t some point, we will grow tired of the partisanship and seek common ground again.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can someone explain to me.... (regarding Trump) - Bengalzona - 11-15-2016, 09:48 AM