Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Fallacy of White Privilege
(11-17-2016, 01:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Educate yourself.

Everywhere across America there are festivals held by white people to celebrate their Irish, German, Greek, English, etc heritage.  None of them are accused of racism.

The only problem with "white pride" is when it is symbolized by a Confederate flag or a swastika.  

Celebrating one's national heritage is not the same as celebrating one's race. Do we have Black Pride celebrations? Or do we have Ethiopian Celebrations, Nigerian Celebrations, Kenyan Celebrations, etc.?

Seems to me that YOU are the one that needs to be educated in the difference between race and nationality.

(11-17-2016, 02:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yers therec are affirmative action programs.  But in order to get a job through affirmative action you still have to be qualified for the job.  There is not place that a black person can walk in a get a job just because he is black.  It is insulting to suggest that people who get jobs through affirmative action are not qualified for the job they get.

With affirmative action, the person getting the job is not always the one that is most qualified. The fact that every time the less qualified person that gets the job it is because of their race (or whatever demographic the affirmative action program is attempting to "help"), then yes, they only got that job because they're black (or whatever demographic the affirmative action program is trying to "help").

(11-17-2016, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Please give me an example of blacks or hispanics being allowed to be "racists to whites" without suffering the same consequences as white who are racists to minorities.

I can give you a list of all the times people have said racist things to me or that I've overheard and nothing happened to those people. There's also similar stories from friends of mine. I have a black coworker that has said some racist stuff about white people publicly and he's still my coworker. Stephen A. Smith oftentimes says some racist things and last I heard, he's still employed.

Consider this: a black person goes into a room full of white people and says all crackers are evil. A white person goes into a room full of black people and says all niggers are evil. Are the responses going to be the same? If you're answer is anything other than 'No' then I know you're full of shit.

(11-17-2016, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is just a complete lie.

A black person who uses a racial slur against a whoite person is just as likely to get beaten up or ostricized as the other way around.

Please give me an example to back up your claim.

How about the time I went into a convenient store in NYC and a black guy in there was ranting about how he wished all white people were dead and then he saw me, stopped what he was saying and then, started yelling at me to stop looking at him and how I owed him reparations and that he was going to enslave me and some other nonsense? As I was leaving, absolutely NO ONE said a thing to him (and I wasn't even the only white person in the store). Or the time I was in Hartford and as I was entering a building, a group of black guys called me all sorts of names - including racist ones - simply because I dared to look in their direction? Nothing happened to them.

In my experience, I've seen far more racist black people say some nasty shit and most of them faced absolutely ZERO negative consequences.

(11-17-2016, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  Your definition includes the word "available".  So by your own definition not all white people have to benefit.  All that matters is that the benefit is available to all white people.

2.  I missed where you demonstrated how all white people did not benefit from "white privilege".  I guarantee that you have never been stopped, detained, or searched by the police just because you are white.  You have never been denied a job interview because you are white.  You have never been denied a housing opportunity because you are white.

1. But your "evidences" of white privilege have not been demonstrated to be available to all white people.

2. Well, first off, go to the OP. And then see my first few posts in here. Secondly, nope I have not. And I have known black people that have also not been stopped because of their skin color and the other nonsense you have spewed. Plus, I linked an article from a white person who was stopped for being white in a black neighborhood.

(11-17-2016, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: None of this makes any sense.
Learn to read, then.
(11-17-2016, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are the one who assumes that all minorities are lazy and will not work hard to better themselves.  I have never said anything like that.
No, I'm not, but facts haven't stopped you before.
Also, I never said you said that, I said you implied it. Wink
(11-17-2016, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Let me ask you this Phil.  If you know that one of your children is going to face an obstacle do you tell her about it?  Or are you afraid that it will just make her give up and not try?  When you tell your daughters that life is tough and they are going to have to deal with problems is your "only purpose to keep them down"?
If I KNOW they're going to face a REAL problem, I might tell them if they're ready to hear it. But I'll also tell them what THEY can do to overcome it. I don't want them to focus on where the blame for the problem lies, but only on what they can CONTROL. 
In this scenario, you would tell your girls there's a problem but it's the other person who needs to change in order for the problem to be fixed. Tell me, how does that help your girls? Might that cause them to think they don't need to do anything until the other person changes? Might they just sit around and say their problems are because of the other person and do nothing of their own to overcome?
Are there successful black people in America? Did they become successful because they overcame their problems? Or did they become successful because white people got out of their way?
[Image: giphy.gif]

Messages In This Thread
The Fallacy of White Privilege - PhilHos - 09-30-2016, 01:08 PM
RE: The Fallacy of White Privilege - xxlt - 09-30-2016, 06:10 PM
RE: The Fallacy of White Privilege - xxlt - 10-01-2016, 01:46 AM
RE: The Fallacy of White Privilege - xxlt - 09-30-2016, 06:02 PM
RE: The Fallacy of White Privilege - xxlt - 09-30-2016, 06:18 PM
RE: The Fallacy of White Privilege - xxlt - 10-01-2016, 08:45 AM
RE: The Fallacy of White Privilege - xxlt - 10-02-2016, 09:15 AM
RE: The Fallacy of White Privilege - xxlt - 10-02-2016, 05:50 PM
RE: The Fallacy of White Privilege - xxlt - 10-03-2016, 02:47 PM
RE: The Fallacy of White Privilege - xxlt - 10-09-2016, 07:54 PM