Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fesitvus! But only for Trump...
(11-22-2016, 02:14 PM)Benton Wrote: Nothing is off the record.

It makes it easier to deny what was said. His board room negotiations aren't normally televised, so he can say whatever he wants and, if it comes back to bite him later, can take a Clinton and say "I don't recall that." He's hoping to get some of that ability with the press, but I don't see it happening outside of maybe Fox.

Courtrooms are a little different. State laws vary, but, generally, a judge has the right to limit access to the court, to exclude recording devices and to prohibit photography. Outside the courtroom, they can be recorded like anyone else even without consent, so long as you're part of the conversation.

I know why Trump did it...I was implying that.  But also saying that without a record there's nothing to keep that "lamestream media" from just making things up about him.

But Scalia didn't allow himself to be recorded:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/13/us/scalia-apologizes-for-seizure-of-recordings.html?_r=0

Quote:Justice Antonin Scalia of the Supreme Court has apologized to two Mississippi reporters who were required to erase recordings of a speech he gave at a high school there on Wednesday.

The reporters, for The Associated Press and a local newspaper, had been told by a deputy federal marshal to destroy the recordings at the end of a half-hour speech by the justice at the Presbyterian Christian High School in Hattiesburg.

The marshal cited the justice's standing policy prohibiting the recording of his remarks. The policy had not been announced at the high school.

On Friday, Justice Scalia wrote the reporters to apologize, but his letters had not yet arrived on Monday, the two news organizations said, and the Supreme Court declined to release them.

Justice Scalia referred to the apologies in a separate letter mailed on Friday to the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, which had protested the marshal's actions. The committee released the letter on Monday.

Calling the organization's concern ''well justified,'' the justice wrote: ''You are correct that the action was not taken at my direction. I was as upset as you were.''

One of the reporters, Antoinette Konz of The Hattiesburg American, expressed appreciation for the apology. She said she was disturbed that her tape was confiscated. It was returned to her only after she promised to erase the justice's speech from it.

''I think it's very honorable of him,'' she said. ''I accept his apology. I am still upset about the entire incident.''

Justice Scalia said in the letter to the Reporters Committee that the controversy had caused him to revise his policy ''so as to permit recording for use of the print media'' to ''promote accurate reporting.'' He suggested that he had been misquoted in some accounts as saying ''people just don't revere'' the Constitution ''like they used to.'' But the letter did not set out his version of what he said, and a court spokesman declined to comment.

Justice Scalia indicated he would continue to ban the recording of his speeches by the broadcast press.

So eventually he allowed them to write it down, but no recording.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
Fesitvus! But only for Trump... - GMDino - 11-22-2016, 08:40 AM
RE: Fesitvus! But only for Trump... - GMDino - 11-22-2016, 02:22 PM