Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 player expectations vs. results
2016 player expectations vs. results

The purpose of this thread is to talk about what expectations we had for certain players going into the season vs. their current results on the field. I feel like a ton of players on the 2016 Bengals have either regressed, haven’t met expectations or haven’t gotten any better from the previous season. In many cases some player’s performances this year are the worst possible outcome anyone could have imagined. One of the only players on the roster that I feel like has exceeded expectations/ improved significantly from the previous season is Josh Shaw and even that’s a little bit of a stretch. The most disturbing part of this list is that many of our high draft picks and young players have not improved/ meet expectations.

Ogbuehi – falls into the worst case scenario category. My expectations were that he could at least do an ok job at RT and at worst struggle somewhat early on. I never imagined he would be one of the worst starting tackles in the league.

Fisher – falls into the worst case scenario category. Fisher unlike Oguehi has gone through two whole training camps. My expectations were that Fisher at worst would be a good backup swing tackle for Whit and Ced this season or at best compete for the starting right tackle gig. The fact he’s in year 2 and the coaching staff thinks he’s not a better option than Ogbuehi at RT terrifies me.

Whitworth – My expectations for Whit was that he would show his age this season and regress somewhat. It’s crazy that he’s playing this good at 35 years old, he’s one of the few players who have exceeded my expectations coming into the season.

Darqueze Dennard – falls into the worst case scenario category. Surprisingly I had high expectations for Dennard I though injuries had held him back before and that he would step in and be one of the better slot corners in the league and possibly take Adam Jones spot at the #2 corner spot. He falls into the worst case scenario category because he’s a first round pick in year 4 who has look terrible when he’s on the field , even if he has a good season next year we have to make a judgment on his future contract based on one season of productivity.

George Iloka – One of the things that helped soften the blow of losing Marvin Jones/ Reggie Nelson for me was the fact that we spent money on a young , big and up coming safety that had room to improve. I knew the loss of Nelson would hurt and my expectations were that Iloka would play well and that Williams would struggle not both of them. Not sure if Nelson ‘s good safety play made Iloka look a lot better than he was or that Iloka is more of a box player like Williams and we have no true free safety.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
2016 player expectations vs. results - lone bengal - 11-22-2016, 11:03 PM