Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst possible salt in wound scenario.
So, let's just say this fan base gets what it wants for Christmas a week or two late and Marvin gets canned after the season. We'll all reflect and eventually speculate on a new coach, then we'll get one. Maybe Guenther, maybe Joseph, maybe even an outsider like Patricia or McDaniels. The new guy will probably have to inherit 80% of Marv's staff. He might get to sign a few ancient, affordable, jizzmopper outside FA's to build some hype and fill some holes. We'll eat this shit up and project the Dalton/Green era alive and well.

Meanwhile, in another beleaguered NFL town, some other poor bastard gets canned too. Maybe Fox or Kelly or Bradley. Their FO takes a peek at who's out there and eventually the conversation comes to Marvin. They look at the literal miracle of his consistency and success in this NFL wasteland. Inexplicably to many here, he gets the job.

Then a funny thing happens. The GM/owner allows Giggles to hire his own staff. An entire staff of whoever the hell Mavin can get to show up. Maybe a Jim Schwartz, maybe a Mike Smith, perhaps a Brad Childress. Totally up to him.

Then one day, Marv sheepishly walks into the GM's office and stares at the floor. "Umm, sir, I was just, errr," "What's that Marv? You say you want to sign a couple of outside FA's that might help us?" "Well yeah, sir, I mean…." "Say no more Marv, we'll get them in here for a look and do what we have to. We have the payroll" And then there it is. Right before Marv's eyes. A and B grade outside free agents at his disposal along with the prospect of filling in holes with more in future seasons.

A year or two later, Marv, as he is known to be capable of, has built a strong roster. He has his handpicked staff. He has outside free agents supplementing the process. He's winning games. He's winning PLAYOFF games.

Meanwhile, here in Cincy Paulie G is roaming the sidelines getting housed by Pittsburgh, just as Marv did. He has a roster full of underperforming clown ***** just like Marv did, because they're under contract for two more seasons. He has the same holdovers form the same stale staff filling out 80% of his group. He has mgmt telling fans we're on the Pats/Steelers plan thus can't have access to any A or B grade outside help. He has the same group of underdeveloped corners not playing for 2 or 3 seasons as he inexplicably drafts more early while the rest of the roster stagnates.

How would it make us feel to learn that it was never Marvin? That with a little more help and a conventional approach from ownership, that maybe he could have gotten over that hump? I think it would be a knife in the gut. It would be a stark reminder that this ownership group isn't normal or like any other. Marvin is just the sacrificial goat of the pigs sitting in the executive offices.

I'm not saying he's free of blame. I just have a feeling that the problem runs much deeper than Lewis, and that he succeeded in spite of it.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Worst possible salt in wound scenario. - samhain - 11-30-2016, 04:49 PM