Poll: Which position group needs the most love?
This poll is closed.
QB
1.35%
1 1.35%
WR
4.05%
3 4.05%
TE
0%
0 0%
RB
2.70%
2 2.70%
DL
25.68%
19 25.68%
LB
58.11%
43 58.11%
S
6.76%
5 6.76%
CB
1.35%
1 1.35%
Total 74 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Aside from OL, what position group do the Bengals need most improvement?
(12-06-2016, 10:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm right there with you on LB being slightly more of a priority over RDE.  The reason that I go with LB is that pressure is great, but let's face it, there are a lot of athletic QBs that can outrun a DL.  You also need athletic, strong tackling LBs to stop people from moving freely in space, when they escape the pressure of the DL.

Some mention S as a primary need, but not so sure that I fully agree with them.  Just last year, Iloka looked All-Pro quality and Williams looked fully prepared to assume the load of a leaving Reggie Nelson.  Now, those guys physical skills didn't just vanish in an offseason.  What happened was Vance Joseph also moved on.  For whatever reason, Coyle is not getting the coaching job done with the Safeties.  Bengal management needs to take a serious look at either bringing on an extra assistant to handle the Safeties, or consider a change at the DBs coaching position, altogether.

Dead on when it comes to the safeties.  Shawn Williams has struggled, but I think Derron Smith and Josh Shaw provide quality depth should they need to replace him.  Williams has gotten burned a lot, but I think he has learned a lot.  I wish the Bengals had him more in the box and let him play to his strengths, but I digress.

I don't see the LB need as greater than the RDE need, but as a position group I took LB over DL.  I think there is no way a RDE isn't our first pick.  We are starting to see an alarming number of first round busts at OT because so many of them don't come from NFL-style offenses and we really don't know their skill set.  They are kind of just drafted as athletes.  LBs are similar in that they are facing more two TE sets, and dealing with pulling guards instead of spread offenses.  

I think a stud RDE would make the entire defense work.  MJ will probably disclose an injury excuse for this season, but he is not doing anything out there.  There are three really strong prospects that fit a RDE in a 4-3 coming out with first round grades.  I would be shocked if the Bengals don't grab one.  LB will be addressed in rounds 3 and 4, would be my guess. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Aside from OL, what position group do the Bengals need most improvement? - SHRacerX - 12-06-2016, 10:45 AM