Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The incessant, weekly, cut Nugent extravaganza!!!
(12-05-2016, 11:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Actually, the NFL and each franchise are businesses first and foremost. Therefore, the main goal of ownership is profit.
The fans just want sports to be different from a regular company, but they never really are any different.

The big thing fans will never know is how much profit the organization actually makes. If they did know, there likely would be even further uproar, not understanding.

All we have to go off of is the Packers 2015 profits since they are the only publicly traded company. The Packers had a profit of $48.9 million last fiscal year, which was a record for them ($29.2 million in 2014, previous record $43 million in 2012).
Link - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/16486925/green-bay-packers-report-record-profit-489-million-2015-fiscal-year

The Bengals, I would expect, likely make somewhere in the $20-30 million range, but we don't know for sure. Purely a guess since I expect the Bengals are in the bottom 10 in profits and the Packers were 9th at $48.9 million. They say in the article that if the Packers had just a 1% reduction in income, they'd be 13th.

So if the Bengals were to pay out the remainder of Nugent's contract (roughly $300k?) and sign a new kicker for around the league minimum for the remaining four games ($150k or so I think?), you're at least looking at somewhere close to $500k extra for the rest of the year. Simply reducing that percentage of the team's overall profit (1-2%?) for the sake of winning a couple more games at this point really may not be worth it from a business standpoint.

But fans don't want their sports teams to prioritize profit, they want the team to prioritize wins at all cost, even if it's not realistic.

Just to clarify, my assertion should have emphasized that the NFL, and the team's themselves, are wildly profitable.  Ticket sales, merch sales, tv money, PSL's, insane concessions, etc.  Just looking at franchise values, the team values have rocketed upwards in the past 20 years.  Meaning, the team, no matter how poorly run, is going to show some kind of long term profit.

So why not try to win something as an organization?  No matter how much you try to compete and win, you're still going to earn.  And if, lo and behold you're a consistent winner and top tier organization, you'll likely sell a lot more merch to the masses.  Instead, the Bengals' owner focuses on contraband hot dogs...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The incessant, weekly, cut Nugent extravaganza!!! - t3r3e3 - 12-07-2016, 04:01 AM