Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little late for Thanksgiving, but...
This is always one of those interesting ones because what people like to use it very subjective. I have found that those from out in the midwest tend to prefer the Native American moniker, while east coasters tend to prefer American Indian. All of them that I know prefer, first and foremost, the tribal name if it is known and if referring to a member or members of the same tribe, but beyond that it is very regional in regards to preference.

This is just my experience from interactions with the community. I was heavily involved in the Order of the Arrow, Scouting's national honor society which is based (very loosely) on legends and traditions of the Lenape. Because the program is national, most lodges will use customs, clothing, etc., of tribes local to them and will often have a working relationship with any nearby. We have good relationship with the Monacan in the area, for example. We would often have a large contingent of tribes at national events as we held drumming, singing, and dancing competitions. So going to those events you got to meet people from many different tribes.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: A little late for Thanksgiving, but... - Belsnickel - 12-07-2016, 10:30 AM