Poll: Which position group needs the most love?
This poll is closed.
QB
1.35%
1 1.35%
WR
4.05%
3 4.05%
TE
0%
0 0%
RB
2.70%
2 2.70%
DL
25.68%
19 25.68%
LB
58.11%
43 58.11%
S
6.76%
5 6.76%
CB
1.35%
1 1.35%
Total 74 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Aside from OL, what position group do the Bengals need most improvement?
My inclination is picking either LB or DL. However, we actually have some unproven but highly drafted depth at those positions.

At LB, we still have Dawson who, while his attitude may be a problem, he was an All American impact player in college and I think if he can just click with Burfict, I think he'll be fine. We also have Nick Vigil, who the coaches adore (as does Burfict).
And then we have quality back ups in Rey and Flowers.
We may benefit from another LB in the 2nd or 3rd round, but in the NFL today, you only really need 2 full time LBs and we already have one with Burfict. I wouldn't draft a LB in the first round unless an amazing player like Foster or Cunningham falls to us.

At DL, we have Billings waiting in the wings to replace Peko, which I think will be a considerable upgrade. Clarke is still developing as well to replace Johnson. If a pass rushing DT were to fall to us, I'd be open to it as a spell for Atkins, or a pass rusher like Barnett or Williams would be a welcome addition as well. It all depends on who is there.

But when I look at WR, we basically have a bare cupboard after Green and Boyd. LaFell is a stop gap who, while he's performing well, will likely only be here for maybe 1 more year. He's already 30 and that's the point at which non-elite WRs begin to go down in productivity. Boyd looks like a good slot WR, but we really need someone who can help the offense move the ball when Green is injured or triple covered. We had a great day against Philly, as Boyd and a few others stepped up, but I don't think we're looking at starting Cody Core or James Wright in the future. A quality deep threat/speedy WR would be very nice to find in this draft.

Even against Buffalo, we got to see what speed can do to a defense. I sure would like to have a weapon like the ones they have that can take a quick pass or a hand off and make people miss.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Aside from OL, what position group do the Bengals need most improvement? - CJD - 12-09-2016, 11:13 AM