Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposed massive cuts to Social Security
(12-10-2016, 12:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not even sure if folks understand how SS works. It is figured from your top 30 years of income. The notion being that you paid more into the system. So any cut in the program is going to affect the richer more so than the poorer; as they have already given, now they are getting a deduction in their investment.

This is why I stated I have no problem with scraping it today, but do not take from those that have already paid in.

Some folks just love to complain and often do not know what they are complaining about.

What exactly do you mean by "those who have already paid in"?  Do you mean anyone working at all or anyone that's made X amount of years of payments?  Not arguing, just don't get your meaning.  

I suppose I don't mind some form of reworking of the program.  It's necessary.  It just sticks in my craw a bit to think that I may not get what I've paid in over the last quarter century or so.  Those are deductions I could have been socking away into another means of retirement savings or my house, my son's education, etc.

I realize that money is needed to keep the program salient for the folks currently dependent on it, but if we as a nation are going to decide to tell retirees: "Up yours, you're on your own from here on out!", then I want my money back.  That's stealing IMO.  If all goes according to plan, I won't need to depend on that money, but it's money I worked for all the same.  

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proposed massive cuts to Social Security - samhain - 12-10-2016, 08:32 PM