Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which position is best outside FA option for Bengals?
(12-13-2016, 11:15 AM)samhain Wrote: I don't think this year will be much different than any other year in outside FA.  The org will trumpet the need to shell out money to Whit, Dre, and Z.  They probably won't spend the money on a guard.  They will cry poor and point to all of the bad FA deals they made when some shitbag dumpster dive didn't turn into Jerry Rice or Lawrence Taylor after the Bengals paid them 2 mil to come in off the scrap heap.  They won't cut fatty Maualuga and will probably bring back ineffective Peko, thus eating more cap with useless dead weight.  They'll re-sign Hunt to a 3-year 12 million dollar deal.  Then:  BOOM!  Hobson does his Hobson math, trots out the 7-year old Zimmer quotes about Hunt looking like JJ Watt and Peko being the best 4-3 NT in the league, and then it's done until we bring in Taylor Mays or Brandon Tate for workouts.  If we're lucky, maybe we'll get Andre Smith back on the cheap to take over the Winston role.  

In a fantasy world, I'd sign a run stuffing DT in FA to open up the draft.  I loved the Billings pick as much as anyone, but don't see a guy that big playing all that well one year removed from major knee surgery.  I'd target Jonathan Hankins or Brandon Williams.

I thought of something similar that is Bengal-esque, which was re-signing Whit, Dre, Z, Burkhead, and LaFell. The team would then bring back Andre Smith as a stop-gap RT on a two-year contract for $6 to 8 million. Smith would man the right side as a starter next year while Fisher continues to be groomed, then the two battle it out in 2018, which is a contract year for both of them. The Bengals media would make this seem like the savior signing to fix the horrid offensive line play this year since the only difference between 2015 and 2016 player-wise was Smith leaving.
The rest of the team will be filled with draft picks.

I would be really disappointed if Hunt is re-signed. He's seemed to have very little impact except block a couple kicks this year. If this team was not willing to hold onto Devon Still after three years, there's no way they can justify re-signing Hunt after four years.
Re-signing Peko is an interesting thought, but Sims is signed through next year and can be that veteran to mentor Billings. Sims has a contract of just $1 mill next year whereas Peko likely would cost at least triple that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which position is best outside FA option for Bengals? - ochocincos - 12-13-2016, 01:05 PM