Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientology and the Aftermath
(12-15-2016, 12:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I live less than one minute from the "Celebrity Center".  It's not the members that are frightening so much as the organization itself.  Indentured servitude, cult like adherence to secrecy, vicious and organized attacks against detractors or former members.  The whole thing is as odious as it is worrying.  Look up, all of you, the concept of "Fair game" as it applies to Scientology.  Research SeaOrg.  Check out http://www.xenu.net/ for more information.  The guy does a very good job of reporting facts.

I am trying to figure out if I agree with your distinction.

The organization does not exist without members, right? I get what you are saying, I think. The ideology is deeply disturbing. So was the Jim Jones ideology, but now that there are no adherents to it, it isn't so concerning. This is not to diminish the tragedy of the mass suicide in Guyana, but just to point out that the ideology effectively died with the members of the cult. Nothing in any of Hubbard's books or any of the Scientology centers would be frightening if it weren't for the people who act out the bizarre ideas such as "fair game." To put it another way, when Adolf was sitting in a room somewhere brooding and practicing speeches and drafting Mein Kampf, we had a sick man developing a sick ideology. But the organization of "the third Reich" doesn't come to pass because he wrote bylaws for a party and conceived the organization. It came to pass because members bought in. So, I still think I would say it was the members that were more frightening than the organization of the Nazi Party or the organization of Scientology.

I guess at some level the two - members and organization - are inseparable. But I am still not sure if I think your distinction is correct. 
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scientology and the Aftermath - GMDino - 12-10-2016, 06:33 PM
RE: Scientology and the Aftermath - xxlt - 12-14-2016, 07:38 PM
RE: Scientology and the Aftermath - xxlt - 12-15-2016, 12:12 PM
RE: Scientology and the Aftermath - xxlt - 12-15-2016, 12:41 PM
RE: Scientology and the Aftermath - xxlt - 12-15-2016, 10:02 PM