Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions: ‘Real America’ is its own bubble
(12-15-2016, 02:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: First off, if we just consider popular vote as the author wants us to; his bubble is not bigger, just more crowded. We have no idea how many folks from the coast would have voted otherwise if it were necessary.

The author "knows"  Trump voters were played for suckers, by suggesting thay have been dupped because Trump has named 4 members of Wall Street to his cabinet. he further dismisses them as not "working with their hands"; although he found it necessary to share with the reader his background of working with his hands; regardless of his current station.

That is a thoughtful response, Bfine. 

When I read the piece, I did not assume that by "bigger bubble" he was referring to numbers, but to the fact that he had been involved in many different institutions and sectors of the economy. I.e., he was not just a guy who lived in one place with no insight into how others in other situations lived.

As far as "working with their hands" goes, I took him to be referring to the billionaire Trump appointees, not to the Trump voters, of whom he assumes many do work with their hands. He mentions that he does too, just to show that he has something in common with those voters (i.e., he is not really outside their bubble), but the man they elected is choosing people who are very different from the average Trump voters--people who might fit their definition of a bubbled up elite. 

He is angry that after working with his hands etc. he is now negatively classified as "elite" because he got a college degree, while Trump's selections are clearly the economic elite and college-educated without raising doubts among Trumpsters.

I think that is an interesting point to make. I wonder how Trumpsters define elites and bubbles and the like, and whether they are in fact ok with Trump's selections.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Opinions: ‘Real America’ is its own bubble - Dill - 12-15-2016, 03:06 PM